Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Moms I need your help and advice!


Ok, I broke down and started the registry process. You can go to Babies R' Us.com, enter my registry number 85292713 and please tell me if you see something egregiously missing! I don't want tons of STUFF! I want to do this as simply as possible... but if you see something that I have completely overlooked, please let me know.

As a little aside, I try to live by the "Simple Living" philosophy and often fail miserably... but what that means is I am trying to keep chaos to a minimum by not having a lot of extra STUFF cluttering my peaceful abode. I also try and make environmentally and financially sound choices. I'm thinking about doing the cloth diapers (such as at bumgenius.com) for example (but not for traveling of course!) I don't want to fill a landfill with toys and diapers over the next years. I also don't want a child who has so many toys she can't see the floor of her room.

Back on topic! I need advice on bottles and nipples as well. If my daughter is going to be 9 months when I pick her up, would I get a "medium" or a "fast" nipple? It's been suggested I get the Playtex bottles with liners for easy sterilization while traveling.... yes? Which bottle size the 8 oz. or the 4 oz.?

Also, does anyone know of a good co-sleeping system?

Also, just a heads up for anyone else doing the registry on Babies R' Us... if you pick any option other than "customize your own registry one item at a time", watch out! They will add all sorts of things on there you might not be interested in.. HIGH TICKET ITEMS such as cribs! As well as medium ticket items such as strollers and also decorative items which may not go with your style at all! I initially chose "natural mom" and found about 20 items I had no interest in had been added to my registry without my express consent. I'm so glad I checked! So then it took 2 hours to painstakingly remove each item one at a time (no mass removal possible). Just a warning....

For those of you who would like to support me in this adoption (I mean family here) please do not purchase anything except the low ticket items as I'm not sure about the big ones yet. I will let you know when the registry is final. And THANK YOU!!!!!!

This is overwhelming, but also exciting. I've been putting it off under the guise of "waiting for the court passing" but I realized I can't leave EVERY purchase until I pass court, because once I pass court, I'll be super busy getting ready to travel, getting immunizations, airline tickets, getting a visa, packing for myself plus a little one, getting donations organized, etc. So the shopping must start. Woe! Woe is me!


PS Moms! How do you know what size diapers to bring to Ethiopia???? Does size "6" mean 6 months???.... HELP!

PPSS Major huge thanks to my neighbors, Jason and Sally, for not only lending me Sally's old crib, but bringing it over tonight and installing it! Mad props to them! Also, in very exciting news, Sally is due in June with a daughter. Isn't that perfect? Playmates next door to each other. "It doesn't get much better than that", as my Tante Laurie would say....


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mika,

Emily here with some bottle/nipple advice. Although my two adopted boys were 11.5 months and 24 hours at time of adoption (i.e. I have no experience (yet) with a 9 month old), some basic info: You will likely need a fast nipple but bring medium as well just in case. You want at least 9 oz bottles as your daughter will probably be eating 8 oz per feeding plus solids. When we adopted Alexander and picked him up 2 weeks shy of his first birthday, he was eating regular food augmented by about 4 bottled a day. Within 2 weeks he was off bottles completely and eating exactly what we were, just cut into very small bits. Even for Daniel, our newborn, I bought 9 oz bottles though he's now eating about 4-5 oz per feeding at 4 weeks old. You'll also need jarred baby food and an infant spoon with you for feedings. And more bibs than you can imagine!

Calmil2 said...

Hi- I used the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper and loved it, but she might grow out of it pretty quickly. You can also use a Pack N Play next to the bed. My kids often slept in the bed too, you can put safety side "rails" on the sides if you think you will be nervous about her rolling out. If you want her to sleep in her own room you may want to put a mattress in her room for you to sleep on so she can see you until she's ready to sleep in there on her own. Take is from a feeding therapist, you may end up trying a lot of different nipples. My first son didn't care but my second one did so it took a few tries until we found one that he latched on to well. The disposable bottle inserts are great for traveling. Once home, Medulla (sp?) has steralizing bags that you pop in the microwave with the nipples and bottles inside(Target). Also, you can get disposable bibs at Target which might be worth it for travel. E-mail me if you have anymore questions :) Harmony

Anonymous said...

Mika, in regards to the diaper bag, make sure you try it on in person. It will become an appendage. You need to make sure that it organizes in a way that satisfys you and that it is comfortable to wear.
Diaper sizes aren't age related. Look at the weight range on the package.

Anonymous said...

Catebb is right, diaper sizing is done by weight, not age. My 2 1/2 year old still wears size 3's!
My advice if you want to have less 'stuff' is to just get the essentials before you travel, get what you KNOW you will use upon return home. You will get lots of gifts from many different people and may end up with a lot more stuff than you need or want. At 9 months old, she's not going to be asking for anything, so you can take a bit of time to build up your toy and 'stuff' collections after you see what dev level she's at, what other people have given you, etc.

Denise said...

Hi,
I am adopting a special needs child from Liberia.I am using cloth diapers and found some thats called dappi diapers.I found them at babybestbuy.com.the price is not bad averages about 3.00 a diaper.I also bought some all in one Kushies for on the go like grocery shopping and things.I bought soothie bottles with fast flow nipples.I also bought plain bottles as well because thats what he uses at the home he is in.The best Line of diaper bags i have found is Fisher price.I have 2 now and one will fit things for a whole weekend away.The other fisher price i have has a cooler on one said and diaper bag on the other and its not to bulky.I have had the first fisher price diaper bag for 4 years now and it still looks brand new.Congrats on your court date!

Denise said...

I am using cloth for ours when he comes home from Liberia.I found some called dappie diapers and they are a good price and came recomended by another adopting mom from Ethipopia.I found them at babybestby.com.I bought some all in one kushies too.Dipsosable you want to buy them by pounds.My son is 40 lbs and wears a size 6.Hope this helps.Congrats on your coort date!
Denise

Adopting1Soon said...

Thank you guys SO MUCH for your 'been there done that' wisdom of items to place on the registry. I have gone back and taken off a bunch, and added others. You rock!

Anonymous said...

As far as bottles, want to confirm that I'd recommend 8 oz. for that age and also the fact that it can take a long time to figure out what bottle they like. I'd buy one or two and then see how they go over. The inserts are good. For bibs (for travel), there are disposable ones.I think Pampers? Get as much info as you can about what she can do before you go (ex: can she pick up things with her fingers?) because then you can plan on what to bring (ex: little cups with lids from which she might be able to pull out Cheerios and such). What an exciting time! I've got a very good feeling about your court date because it's the day I went into labor with Zoe ;)