Sunday, September 20, 2009

If you insist on calling me Wonder Woman, at this point I may have to agree :-)

Despite the disaster that was the spring planting effort of 2009, I was thrilled to dig up THIS!!!!




These are POTATOES, ONIONS and GARLIC, my first ever attempt at root veggies. Digging up the potatoes was like going on an Easter egg hunt, very exciting to spot the occasional yellow skinned lump among the soil. The markers had faded in time and I couldn't really remember where I had planted them. In fact, it was a complete experiment in the first place: I had found some old potatoes in the pantry, in a brown bag, that had sprouted 3 foot tendrils. I planted those just to see what would happen. THIS is what happened! Yay!



Here is everything cleaned up. The garlic lost it's paper skin.





In case it's not clear by the title of this post, I'm quite proud of myself. Not only am I a single mom, but I'm also able to keep up in the garden to a SLIGHT degree (we'll see about next year, this may be the last year I do this until Charlie is quite a bit older). It also follows my goal of feeding her as naturally as I can.
So now, I need to use up the garlic, as I waited a little too long to dig them up and therefore I had to take their skins off. Perhaps some shrimp scampi this evening.....






4 comments:

Tami said...

Most impressed by those taters. I'll have to try that next year.

Michelle said...

That is awesome! I envy your garden and fresh veggies. Very well done!

Single PAP said...

impressive!

Rachel said...

You really ARE wonder woman! :)