Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Post Adoption Depression Thought for the Day 3



Post Adoption Depression: Thought For The Day:

"Everything is piling up. I’m behind. I NEED to do the laundry, clean the house, pick up the dog poo, pay the bills, make the phone calls, pick up the meds, do the shopping, water the plants, do the yard work, cook dinner, make lunch for tomorrow, shower…. And, and, and….

And Charlie is hanging on my leg, so needy, and I can’t do any of the things I HAVE TO DO and I’m drowning. SHE is preventing me from accomplishing ANYTHING."



Post Adoption Depression Recovery Thought For the Day:

"None of that stuff won’t wait until tomorrow. Charlie loves and needs me, and I love and need her. SHE is my main "accomplishment" or "job" right now and compared to the other stuff she is way more important."

4 comments:

LegalMist said...

It's so hard to shift out of our pre-baby mindset of "accomplish, accomplish, accomplish" isn't it?

Calmil2 said...

I just want you to know that I am reading all your post adoption depression posts and I think you are soooo NORMAL, so don't worry and I love how you are turning your thoughts around. Also, I want you to know that a lot of what you are talking about I went through with my 1st baby and he is a bio baby. The adjustment to having children appears to apply to bio and adopted children. Hang in there, you are doing GREAT!!

Kristine said...

The list of things I "should" be doing runs through my head constantly! I struggle with not feeling like I really accomplish anything during the day. When you go from being Ms. Career woman to staying at home, it feels like you are doing "nothing". You are totally right that the kids are our accomplishment. I keep telling myself, I am molding little minds and hearts, impacting them for a lifetime, that's what I'm doing today!

J-momma said...

hey. two years later i still feel this way.