Sunday, February 22, 2009

Having surgery next week.... might be gone for a bit.


Hopefully not longer!

Some of my readers, those who have known me for awhile, might also know that I tend to "go there" in my head, to the worst case scenario (see post on air travel a month back for evidence of this type of thinking) (or this post). Anyhoo... I am having surgery this week and so where do you think my head has gone?

Banana peel on the operating room floor, surgeon with sudden-onset-Parkinson's, accidents on the way to or from the hospital, clotting.....

Actually, given my catastrophizing nature, I must be one of the bravest people I know. Seriously. Maybe it sounds like I'm bragging, but I' hope not. Because although I truly believe my plane will crash, I still get on it. That's pretty courageous, don't you think? If you KNEW it was going to crash??? And you got an ANYWAY? Or maybe it's just DUMB! And even though I truly believe something will jump in front of my car on the highway, I still drive to work everyday. And even though I truly believe something will go wrong with the surgery, I'm going to show up on the gurney. Having a brain like this is a huge handicap that I try to overcome. If I didn't force myself, I'd probably never leave the house. You know that saying "You're your own worst enemy"? Never truer in my case!

This weekend has been the SLOWEST weekend ever. I'm trying not to think of all the things that could go wrong, and instead I'm just tying to distract myself. I'm watching a lot of movies, I've taken the dogs out on a leash both days, I've packed. I've watered the plants. I've read two books. I've read every blog in the universe.... I find it very hard to believe it's only 1:30 PM on Sunday.

So, if you are religious, please say a prayer for me?
If you are not religious, please send some positive vibes into the universe for me?

I'll be back online as soon as I'm feeling better.

P.S. I have made arrangements and given the password to this blog to my father (in a letter he will find upon my demise) so he will inform you if I haven't survived. I'm telling you, I really worry about this stuff and I'm nothing if not prepared.

P.P.S. Don't worry, arrangements for the dogs were made years ago, I bought myself life insurance for them.

P.P.P.S Please leave me comments, it'll give me something to do while recovering.

13 comments:

Angela said...

Girl,

I know you're serious but I couldn't help laughing! You've given the password to your dad... OMG! I will difinitly lift you up in prayer.

May god steady the hands of the surgeons. May he give the healthcare team discernment while providing treatment during your stay. May you return home restored and renewed in mind, body, and spirit. Amen.

Angela said...

I don't know what happend to original post but I couldn't help laughing even though I know you're serious. Your dad has the password to your blog just in case...OMG!

I will definitely lift you up in prayer for your safe recovery.

Adopting1Soon said...

Angela,
I'm so glad you are laughing. It is a bit tongue-in-cheek writing. True, yet vaguely Woody Allen-esquely exaggerated. But not much.
Anyway, I'm glad you don't think I'm a total neurotic and actaully thought it was a funny post. Another way I cope. Thnaks for the prayer.
M

Anonymous said...

I think you're a highly functioning total neurotic ;-) So many of us (or maybe I think that to give myself comfort) feel very similar things on a fairly frequent basis. You're not alone, just more vocal about your fears and concerns. And you ARE brave-- wonderfully brave and courageous and you will be fine. Your journey doesn't end here. Just doesn't.
Will be saying prayers for a perfectly done surgery and a rapid and easy healing time.

Single PAP said...

prayers your way for an easy surgery and a quick recovery time!

Calmil2 said...

Oh, I so relate!!! Sometimes you just have to tell your overactive, easy to create hypotheticals brain...."ENOUGH". People do these scary things (like walk to the mailbox) all the time and they're fine and you will be too :) Harmony

Mic said...

Wow! I hope we don't have to hear from your dad!!! If you do survive this surgery, though, I have an award for you over at my blog. No, it's not a "went under the knife and barely lived to tell my tale" award...but it's close...

Queen Diva said...

Michelle,

I will lift you up in prayer for a sucessful surgery.

I also agree with the other comments about this post being funny but at the same time I know how it is to worry about things because I do the same thing.

Hope that you have a speedy recovery!

Andrea

Queen Diva said...

Michelle,

Please e-mail at andrea.geddes@yahoo.com
and give me your e-mail address. My blog is going private in about two weeks and I would like to send you an invitation. I don't know how long your recovery is going to take. I wanted to give you a heads up.

Andrea

4evamom said...

I pray for a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Aw, it's a rotten thing to have to worry, even if there is nothing to worry about. The real risks aren't the things we tend to be scared of. Hope you are feeling better soon! Thinking of you,

Bryan

J-momma said...

vibes, vibes, vibes....

(that's me sending good vibes)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...it's Feb. 26th and I was just checking back in to make sure your dad hasn't had to post! I hope you are on the mend and feeling better!