Sunday, August 16, 2009

Phew! Barely alive!

The trip was the worst I've been on. Everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong, including getting the last possible parking spot in the lot and having to lug a 65 lb suitcase, a stroller, a baby, a diaper bag, a purse and a carry on all the way to the terminal.

But the worst was the flight: 10 minutes out of ___ville, the pilot came on the intercom and said: "We are having mechanical difficulties and need to return to ----ville airport. we'll keep you posted."

OK.

That was enough to get me concerned, especially due to my dream earlier that morning.

We returned and switched planes and 2 hours later were in the air again. Not my idea of a non-stop flight, but I'd rather be on a plane without mechanical problems so whatever.

The entire flight was so turbulent the teenage girl next to me threw up. That's a LOT of turbulence. Charlie was SCREAMING the entire trip, both in the plane and in the airport. She was being a real pill, so much so that 2 old ladies came up to me and asked if I needed help. That's embarrassing. both flights we were in the last possible seat, in the back of the plane, the bumpiest place and the hardest to get in and out of when you're carrying a baby and tons of baby stuff.

So finally after this horrendously bumpy flight we try to land at ----ark airport... one of the worst airports in the country in my opinion. (See my post about my nephew's christening when we almost crashed at that airport on the tarmac while landing). So we try to land and come within 5 feet of landing and WHOOSH! we flew straight back into the air. The pilot came on for a brief moment as a way of explanation: "We'll tell you in a minute" sounding very tense. At this point I was shaking. So then we fly around and attempt to land again, and have another aborted attempt at landing! By this point I'm thinking there are terrorists in the cockpit, or the landing wheels won't come out, or any number of things. Charlie's ears are wrecking havoc on her with 4 up and downs, poor thing.

People were holding hands across the aisles, knees were jumping, hands were wringing... I was not the only person scared. We finally were able to land and for 30 minutes afterward I was shaking, The next day, my entire body was stiff, from tensing every muscle in my body. Ugh, terrible, terrible trip, made all the worse by my absolute certainty that it was all over, and Charlie's life before it even really began.

Thank God.

In other news, Chalrie is a huge hit with her extended family, everyone loves her to pieces. She loves the pool and the ocean and the bucket of water on the deck... anything wet and she's into it. We are having chaotic fun with 5 cousins, 15 aunts and uncles and grandparents.

9 comments:

Single PAP said...

OMG. that sounds awful-for baby and mama. glad everyone is safe and sound and back home. can't wait for the beach pics!

sko3 said...

Oh my gosh. That sounds horrible.

Mamato2 said...

OMG- what a horrid trip. I am blessed when we fly that Mal's ears have never bugged herm but am always prepared to stick a bottle in her mouth at the first sign of ear pai, anyway :)

Calmil2 said...

Okay, so why did the pilot keep pulling up?? Ugh, I hate flying so I totally sympathize!

Unknown said...

I will be glad to hear that you are safely home, dear! I hate flying!!! Alas, I will be flying to Ethiopia in the not-too-distant future (waiting for a court date)!!!

Alissabeth said...

ack! that sounds horrible! You're such a trooper for surviving it. I hope you two are getting lots of relaxing in on your vacation! ♥

LegalMist said...

Wow, how awful! I'm so glad you arrived safely in the end, though. I hope the return flight is much more pleasant for you!

Stay At Home Mom said...

I really don't know how I would manage if I were in your place. I had a difficult time when I traveled with my three month old baby, and it was a very smooth flight. With yours, I would have probably thrown up! Glad to know that you and Charlie are fine!

Sha Zam- said...

Holy cow! That is rough. So why did he keep pulling up???